Strategic Regional Marketing Manager: Latin/South America – Maple Ridge, BC
October 16, 2014|
By John Lyotier
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED; HOWEVER, WE DO VALUE GREAT TALENT AND CONTINUE TO ACCEPT OUTSTANDING APPLICATIONS.
If you have just read the job title and are thinking, hmmmm… that sounds like an interesting job but where the heck is Maple Ridge, BC, this may not be the job for you. However, if you have some vague idea of where we might be located, then we would love you to start on Yo.com and read Our Story (and yes, we know it is long but we have had an interesting journey and you should know about it). We are so excited for what lies ahead and we are looking for someone who is passionate about bringing YO! to the world.
If you have been intrigued and are thinking “I want to know more…”, then we would like you to apply and become our Regional Marketing Manager overseeing our Latin and South American markets. We have identified several key markets and we believe that Latin America and South America offer an incredible opportunity for YO!
So, I bet you are wondering, where exactly would I be working? Officially, you would be working for Left of the Dot Media in Maple Ridge. Our company was established in 2010 and we turn million dollar domain names into multi-million dollar businesses. But, ‘we’ should also be considered Yo.com, YO! Media, and the entire half of the company that is focused on bringing this new brand to market.
We have been quietly working on this brand in stealth mode for the past 7 months (and we have to tell you it was difficult not to blab and if you’ve read Our Story, you know why…it is pretty amazing). YO! launched in private beta in the first week of October and our MVP will be released later this year. It is hard to describe all the coolness that is YO!, but basically it is a transformative mobile app that empowers users to share and connect without the Internet. The phrase ‘Off-the-grid social networking’ somewhat capture the essence of YO!. It includes messaging, calling, sending large files (apps, photos, videos, music, etc.) to those in your social circle and the amazing part is that YO! does this all without traversing up and across the Internet. By removing this part of the equation, this data is able to move at extremely high speeds, off-the-grid, and for free! We believe this has the potential to affect people in the emerging markets in a very positive way.
It begins with people…if this statement inspires you, then you will want to work with us to bring YO! to the world. We dream big. Why? Because we believe in BHAGs and we want to make a difference in the world. Did you read our BHAG??? You should have, and when reading it, it should have resonated with your core. Our mission is to connect every person on the planet, whether they are connected to the Internet or off the grid entirely. Yep. Every single one of them.
Our ideal candidate has experience in bringing a product to market. You will have some connection and/or experience with Latin and South America — whether you grew up there and then moved to Canada or you visit your great, great aunt frequently in Brazil. As you will be our key expert in this market, we need you to know a bit about what the needs of the people are in these regions or have a way to find out. We also need you to be able to communicate with key partners, firms, companies in these regions and therefore we will need you to speak at least one of the regional languages (Spanish or Brazilian Portuguese).
We will need you to take on all aspects of marketing YO! in Latin and South America. This is different than marketing an app in North America, so we will need you to approach this with new and innovative techniques. But don’t worry, we will also give our opinions as well.
Hopefully, as you have been reading you are getting more and more intrigued. So, when we tell you that our offices are a mere 35 minutes against traffic from downtown Vancouver, you will think, “that is totally doable”. Really, it’s not that far and it is beautiful out here. Plus, we are just across the Golden Ears Bridge or Pitt River Bridge depending on where you are coming from. This makes us incredibly accessible for all you talented people living in the Tri-Cities, Langley, Surrey, Mission, New West and everything in between. Just think how much time you would gain in your life from a shorter commute to work, plus you would be working on a super cool project with super cool people.
We chose to locate our offices out here in Maple Ridge as we believe it is a growing, vibrant community that is teeming with talented people such as yourself. Over 3 years ago, when we started putting this dream into reality, we were tired of wasting away our lives commuting on the West Coast Express. So, we created an amazing office and culture right here in our backyard and haven’t looked back. We are even moving soon, just down the road, to a great new space that can accommodate our growth. It is going to be awesome, just saying.
- You must be a risk taker who has a passion for entrepreneurism.
- We still classify ourselves as a Startup even though we are an international team of 50 (We are presently 10 in Maple Ridge and 40 in Bangladesh, though we envision doubling in the next 4 to 6 months). As such, you must want to work in a Startup.
- You realize that failure is an option, because failure means that you have started
- Maybe you have worked in a corporation overseeing their regional marketing objectives, or maybe you worked as a brand manager bringing new products to market in a large company, but in any role, you had wished to be part of a smaller team where you would have a direct impact on the business as a whole
- You must be a self-starter and be able to manage yourself and your projects
- You can self-learn as things change; and quickly, because learning is something that you have to do daily
- You should be up-to-date on your Internet memes (that way you know if we are laughing at you or with you). Bonus points if you have earned a whack of karma on reddit.
- You should want to build something really cool, so that in a couple of years we all say, “Wow! Look what we’ve built together”
- It is OK to be an Apple fanboy/fangirl, but realize that more than half the world, especially in developing markets, will never convert to iOS
- You must believe in the mantra of “Work hard, play hard.”
- You must be able to laugh at yourself and roll with the punches
- You must tolerate animals (On any given day, we may have a dog in the office. Or sometimes a cat. Though never together. That day was not a good one).
- You don’t have to be good at Darts or Foosball, but you should be willing to learn or you will constantly lose and be the one doing the coffee run to Waves on 207th
- 3+ years of experience, preferably in a communications and/or advertising/marketing environment
- Degree or diploma in business, marketing, public relations, communications
- You will have experience bringing a product to market
- International experience – You know the market well in Latin and South America and even have some contacts there from past projects
- You will have fluency (reading and writing) in Spanish or Brazilian Portuguese as we need you to be able to communicate YO! to local influencers in Latin and South America
- You have high expectations of yourself and others
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and at least one of regional languages
- Understanding of digital marketing and social media platforms to develop strategies and tactics to drive communication and business development
- Knowledge of mobile and telecommunications
- Be able to identify key industry and client information (trends, issues, competitive environment, and strategic business opportunities) and present a marketing perspective regarding the requirements to meet strategic goals
- You will understand and know how to work with local press to promote and position a product
- Experience with business development and strategic channel relations
- You consider yourself a thought leader and demonstrate this via blogging, networking at industry events, or speaking at conferences (or at least a willingness to try)
- Knowledge (and willingness to accept) that sometimes it requires we work around the clock — not because someone is poking you with a sharp stick, but because you want to and we need to
- Knowledge that you don’t know everything and that we don’t know everything, but if we put our heads together, we can probably figure it out at least as well as anyone else.
About the Job
So what will you be doing?
- Develop and execute regionally focused, integrated marketing & communication programs aligned with the vision and values of YO!
- Identify opportunities to expand our brand in the market
- Lead marketing strategy and promotional efforts for strategic initiatives and business partnerships
- Develop a collaborative working relationship with other Regional Marketing Managers and Mobile Product Managers to gain and share best practices and knowledge
- Develop core product and services positioning and messaging that differentiates YO! in the market
- Develop and manage marketing program budgets
- You will be the key point of contact for the language and transition of YO! for your region
- Measure and report marketing related activities against pre-determined ROI objectives
- Write communications for internal and external initiatives in English and at least one regional language (Brazilian Portuguese or Spanish)
- Partner with Product Management to identify product opportunities
- Create innovative, effective go-to-market programs that drive revenue and grow usage
- Some regional travel may be required
- You will be the expert in the regional market and competition and will develop visionary thought leadership
Compensation & Next Steps
- While your salary will be competitive and based on your experience, we believe that as we build this out together, we can all share in the upside and increase compensation as revenues increase for the brands you are involved in.
- If you are interested in working on a world-class network of premium web businesses, then please send us a recent resume (online links are fine) along with your salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org and/or email@example.com. No phone calls or unexpected visits please because we have developers here and they are easily startled.
- Thanks in advance for considering us, and while we thank all those who apply, only those who are being considered may be contacted.
Left of the Dot (and YO!) is a small, but growing company. Fit and a willingness to learn is more important than experience. But because we are small, we apologize in advance if we can’t respond to everyone.
Learn more about us at www.LeftOfTheDot.com or about our next hot project at www.Yo.com