Senior Android Developer – RightMesh: Maple Ridge, BC
Do you consider yourself a bit of a pro when it comes to developing code for Android apps? Do you get excited about contributing to and owning features during every phase of product development? Perhaps you consider yourself a unique creative that expresses yourself by efficiently creating artistic code? If that sounds like you, you might be the Senior Android Developer we are looking for!
If you haven’t yet heard of Left, we’re a technology company based in the suburbs of Vancouver in Maple Ridge. Our award-winning Community Engagement Program and our top-notch culture have led us to win an award as “Best Workplace BC” and be recognized by the BC Tech Association as the best in BC for “work, life, and play”.
At the heart of our business (what you’ll be working on) we’re building a platform to connect the next billion people without infrastructure using a fully-distributed mobile mesh network for Android and iOS mobile phone platforms, along with IoT devices. Our platform will enable affordable, reliable, resilient, and secure access to the internet and connectivity to all users. Because this platform will be used by more than just us, you’ll be there to ensure developers find it simple, intuitive, and easy to work with. From the user’s perspective, it should be easy to use and autonomous wherever possible. There should be very little end-user configuration required within any apps which use our framework.
Where does all this cool stuff happen? We might have the funkiest office space in the Lower Mainland (BC) complete with a games room, library, lots of beer, and plenty of smart and silly people. We are purposefully located out in the ‘burbs so that our employees can live and work in their community. If you do commute it’s a maximum of 40 minutes against traffic from downtown Vancouver, and we’re just across the Golden Ears Bridge, so we are extremely accessible to most in the Lower Mainland. And speaking of sky-high real estate prices, you have room to breathe out here and can afford to exhale. Are you ready to join us and change the world yet?
About the Job: So what will you be doing?
- Responsible for native code in the apps (Java and any language of choice)
- Own and execute features at all layers – UI, test automation and SDK
- Contribute to all phases of product development – roadmap, requirements, design, release, QA, documentation & customer support
- Work with our mesh developers to create production ready apps or proof of concepts for the RightMesh platform
- Participate in code reviews and pair programming
- Collaborate with other team members on various projects
- Support our R&D team in bringing ideas to life
- Understand and stay current on the latest mobile devices, interfaces and languages
- Other duties as required
Essential Skills: What do you need to get here?
- Understanding of Android Services
- Understanding of Android framework components and their respective lifecycles
- An excellent understanding of best practices for concurrency and threading
- Experience writing modern Android apps from scratch
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (or a related field) OR equivalent experience.
- Effective and creative in problem solving
- Released an Android library
- Basic understanding of the Linux Kernel layer in Android devices
- Contributed to open source
- You are entrepreneurial. This means you know failure is an option, but you also know that when you learn from failure, this is often when the impossible becomes possible.
- We still classify ourselves as a startup even though we are an international office of 100+. We currently have about 35 in Maple Ridge and 75+ in Bangladesh, so you must want to be in the startup environment.
- You must be a self-starter and able to take initiative and manage your own projects.
- You can self-learn as things change; and quickly, because learning must be ongoing and things change often.
- We are Dog positive; Django is our Director Of Greetings and he outranks most of us.
- You must believe in the mantra of “Work hard, play hard.”
- You must be able to laugh at yourself and roll with the punches.
Compensation & Next Steps
Your salary will be competitive and based on your experience; however, we are a startup and, as we build this out together, we will all share in the upside and increased compensation as revenues increase for the brands you are involved in.
If you are interested in working on a world-class platform and business, then please apply here with a recent resume along with your salary expectations. No phone calls or unexpected visits please because we have developers here and they are easily startled.
Left is a small, but growing company. Fit and a willingness to learn is more important than experience. Thanks in advance for considering us.
Learn more about us at www.rightmesh.io and our parent company Left.