Project Manager – Left Travel: Maple Ridge, BC
October 25, 2017|
By Tracy McDonald
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED; HOWEVER, WE DO VALUE GREAT TALENT AND CONTINUE TO ACCEPT OUTSTANDING APPLICATIONS.
Are you the brilliant organizer of your peer group? Do people turn to you to manage and organize events because you are a pro at pulling the pieces together into one cohesive plan? Not only are you good at this, you have a passion for it and have turned that passion into the beginnings of a career as a Project Manager.
Have you heard of Left?…We do things Right! If you haven’t heard of us, don’t worry, we will forgive you. We are proud of our achievements thus far in creating a work culture that inspires creativity, balance, and giving back to the community. In fact, the BC Tech Association has recognized us for two consecutive years as the best in BC for balancing “work, life, and play”. Our top-notch culture and Community Engagement Program have also been a driving force behind being named 2016’s Best Workplace from Small Business BC.
At the heart of our business (what you’ll be working on) is a platform to connect travelers to vacation rentals, hotels, flights, cars and stuff to do whilst they are away on vacation. We have a lot of moving parts and our business model is unique and complex. We need someone quick witted, fast thinking, always one step ahead, with ideas on how to better manage communication and harness all the ideas coming in from the team.
Where does all this magic happen? We might have the coolest office space in the Lower Mainland (BC) complete with a games room, library, lots of beer, and plenty of smart and silly people. We are purposefully located out in the ‘burbs so that our employees can live and work in their community. If you do commute it’s only 40 minutes against traffic from downtown Vancouver, and we’re just across the Golden Ears Bridge, so we are extremely accessible to many in the Lower Mainland. And speaking of sky-high real estate prices, you have room to breathe out here and can afford to exhale. Are you ready to join us and change the world yet?
About the Job: So what will you be doing?
- Work closely with our Left Travel COO and Director of Digital Revenue to coordinate sprints, project planning, documenting requirements, etc.
- Develop plans for projects, including schedules, budgets, and outlining duties for each team member.
- Identify project goals, timelines and milestones. Facilitate collaboration between teams in Maple Ridge and Bangladesh and hold meetings to develop project plans and keep all stakeholders updated on the planning phase.
- Troubleshoot roadblocks to ensure that all team members can complete their tasks.
- Run daily scrums and closely monitor each project / sprint to ensure that projects remain on track, meet deadlines, and stay under budget, according to the project plan. Keeping the stakeholders updated on the project status.
- Run weekly retrospectives and communicate the results to both teams. Implement required changes based on the retrospectives.
- Weekly meetings with the development team in Bangladesh to review tickets and requirements. These generally take place at night 10pm which is during their work day. In return we offer flexible work hours and time to volunteer in your community.
- Other duties as required.
Essential Skills: What do you need to get here?
- You’ve woven your passion into earning a Bachelor’s Degree in CS, Computer Engineering, or other related fields.
- 2+ yearsof project management experience
- Your friends all admire your ability to multi-task and adapt to rapidly changing events.
- A good understanding of the software development lifecycle.
- Self-starter looking to looking to learn and contribute significantly to the team.
- Able to work independently with minimum supervision. Detail oriented and organized.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, are a must.
- You hold yourself and others to high standards because you believe the impossible is possible.
- Experience with specific project management methodologies – Scrum or Agile.
- Interest in completing or already completed PMP.
- Experience in working with an offshore development team would be a huge plus.
- Experience as a developer within a team
- Experience with project management, collaboration and continuous integration software such as Jira, Git, Jenkins, or similar
- A love of travel
- You are entrepreneurial. This means you know failure is an option, but you also know that when you learn from failure, this is often when the impossible becomes possible.
- We still classify ourselves as a startup even though we are an international office of 90+. We currently have about 30 in Maple Ridge and 60+ in Bangladesh, so you must want to be in the startup environment.
- Maybe you have just recently finished your bachelor’s degree and are just starting out in Project Management, or maybe you have been a Project Manager for a few years and are ready for a change. In any scenario, you wish to be part of a smaller team where you would have a direct impact on the business as a whole.
- You must be a self-starter and able to take initiative and manage your own projects.
- You can self-learn as things change; and quickly, because learning must be ongoing and things change often.
- We are Dog positive; Django is our Director Of Greetings and he outranks most of us.
- You must believe in the mantra of “Work hard, play hard.”
- You must be able to laugh at yourself and roll with the punches.
Compensation and Next Steps
Your salary will be competitive and based on your experience; however, we are a startup and, as we build this out together, we will all share in the upside and increased compensation as revenues increase for the brands you are involved in. If you are interested in working on a world-class platform and business, then please send us a recent resume (online links are fine) along with your salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or unexpected visits please because we have developers here and they are easily startled.
Left is a small, but growing company. Fit and a willingness to learn is more important than experience.
Thanks, in advance for considering us. To learn more about Left and Left Travel
We are an equal opportunity employer and love diversity at our company! We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status