Mobile Mesh Developer: Maple Ridge, BC
January 1, 2018|
Do you consider yourself a unique creative that expresses yourself by efficiently creating artistic code? You’re tickled by the thought of simplifying problems for other developers while giving the user a “wow” experience every time they use an app with our framework powering it. You nerd out about bridging the gap between highly technical underlying network framework and the developers themselves? Then continue reading because you might be the evangelist (or one of the few) we’re looking for.
If you haven’t yet heard of Left, we’re a technology company based in the suburbs of Vancouver in Maple Ridge. Our award-winning Community Engagement Program and our top-notch culture have led us to win an award as “Best Workplace BC” and be recognized by the BC Tech Association as the best in BC for “work, life, and play”. At the heart of our business (what you’ll be working on) we’re building a platform to connect the next billion people without infrastructure using a fully-distributed mobile mesh network for Android and iOS mobile phone platforms, along with IoT devices. Our platform will enable affordable, reliable, resilient, and secure access to the internet and connectivity to all users. Because this platform will be used by more than just us, you’ll be there to ensure developers find it simple, intuitive, and easy to work with. From the user’s perspective, it should be easy to use and autonomous wherever possible. There should be very little end-user configuration required within any apps which use our framework.
Where does all this magic happen? We might have the coolest office space in the Lower Mainland, complete with a games room, library, lots of beer, and a plenty of silly people. We are purposefully located out in the ‘burbs so that our employees can live and work in their community. If you do commute it’s only 40 minutes against traffic from downtown Vancouver, and we’re just across the Golden Ears Bridge, so we are extremely convenient for most in the entire Lower Mainland. And speaking of sky-high real estate prices, you actually have room to breathe out here and can afford to exhale. Are you ready to change the world yet?
About the Job: So what will you be doing?
- Owning your experience developing APIs and frameworks so your insights can intuitively shape the product.
- Having intelligent conversations around collected feedback from developers about how to improve and refine the API/SDK as it evolves.
- Differentiating the complexity of what we are creating from what is exposed to the developers while documenting the process clearly.
- Thrilling developers about how easy it is to build a WAVE mesh app from all your hard work.
- Creating artistic code that reduces the complexity for the developers and creates a “wow” user experience.
Essential Skills: What do you need to get here?
- You’ve woven your passion into earning a Bachelor’s Degree in CS, Computer Engineering or other related fields.
- Experienced java, c/c++, objective-c developer.
- Experience with Android Studio, Git, Unit-testing, deploying apps on Android & iOS
- You’ve proudly developed and released APIs/libraries that are used in other projects.
- Passion radiates when you talk everything mesh communication- including the mesh networks you’ve deployed.
- You have experience with android services and permissions.
- You’re happy to show us your contributions to open source and can provide git repositories with contributions.
- You hold yourself and others to high standards- because you believe the impossible is possible.
- You’ve earned a Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in CS, computer engineering, or other related fields.
- You can show how your skills have continuously evolved over your 5+ years of work experience in development teams.
- You’re a team player so you have created sample apps and tutorials for an API/SDk with documentation.
- Experience with distributed systems, peer-to-peer, or mesh networking.
- Familiarity with Unity, Chartboost, or another 3rd party API/SDK.
- Artifactory deployment experience.
- Jenkins, continuous integration, automated testing experience would be a big help!
- Backend experience (databases, server side languages etc.) to some extent would be a bonus.
- You are entrepreneurial. This means you know failure is an option, but you also know that when you learn from failure, this is often when the impossible becomes possible.
- We still classify ourselves as a startup even though we are an international office of 95+. We currently have about 35 in Maple Ridge and 70+ in Bangladesh, so you must want to be in the startup environment.
- Maybe you have worked in a senior technical role already, or maybe you are just finishing up your Ph.D. and can’t wait to dive into the real world, but in any scenario, you wish to be part of a smaller team where you would have a direct impact on the business as a whole.
- You must be a self-starter and able to take initiative and manage your own projects.
- You can self-learn as things change; and quickly, because learning must be ongoing and things change often.
- We are Dog positive; Django is our Director Of Greetings and he outranks most of us.
- You must believe in the mantra of “Work hard, play hard.”
- You must be able to laugh at yourself and roll with the punches.
Compensation and Next Steps
Your salary will be competitive and based on your experience; however, we are a startup and, as we build this out together, we will all share in the upside and increased compensation as revenues increase for the brands you are involved in.
If you are interested in working on a world-class platform and business, then please apply here with your resume and salary expectations. No phone calls or unexpected visits please because we have developers here and they are easily startled.
Left is a small, but growing company. Fit and a willingness to learn is more important than experience. Thanks in advance for considering us.
Learn more about Left or about our hot project at http://www.rightmesh.io/.
We are an equal opportunity employer and love diversity at our company! We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status