THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED; HOWEVER, WE DO VALUE GREAT TALENT AND CONTINUE TO ACCEPT OUTSTANDING APPLICATIONS.
Have you just read our Mobile Requirements Engineer posting and thought, “Man, I want to work for that company, but I’m not sure if I have enough mobile experience”? Well, this may be the job for you. We are looking for a General Requirements Engineer who will work on a variety of projects such as our Travel Brand domain portfolio, OZ – our proprietary big data platform for analytics & brand management, YO.com, and many of the other projects we have on the go.
I bet you are wondering who is Left of the Dot Media? We are the parent company of a number of successful brands. Established in 2010 and located in the heart of Maple Ridge, Left of the Dot Media turns million dollar domain names into multi-million dollar businesses.
You may be thinking, why is a media/tech company located in the suburbs and not downtown? The answer is we were sick and tired of wasting 500+ hours on the West Coast Express commuting every year to work. We believe Maple Ridge is a growing and vibrant community filled with talented people, who would also probably like to end the drudgery of the long commute to work. Now, 4 years later, we are growing quickly and are so happy we made the decision to create something awesome right here in our own backyard.
Hopefully, as you have been reading you are getting more and more intrigued. So, when we tell you that our offices are a mere 35 minutes against traffic from downtown Vancouver, you will think, “that’s a great commute – less than my current one”. Really, it’s not that far and it is beautiful out here. Plus, we are just across the Golden Ears Bridge or Pitt River Bridge depending on where you are coming from. This makes us incredibly accessible for all you talented people living in the Tri-Cities, Langley, Surrey, Burnaby, Mission, New West, and everything in between. Just think how much time you would gain in your life from a shorter commute to work, plus you would be working on exciting projects with a dynamic team of individuals.
If you are the right candidate, you believe variety is the spice of life. As our General Requirements Engineer, you are well versed in creating easily understood product specification documents, preferably in a Lean operation. While you do not have to be a UI/UX expert yourself, a little knowledge in this area is a good thing as you will become part of a team creating future versions of our websites and analytics platforms. You will also be closely paying attention to the data and our users as any Lean organization builds its next version after listening to what the market is telling us.
You may be a programmer-turned-product-manager, but you do not have to program or design; however, the ability to wireframe and communicate requirements will be required (as will be validating the output to spec). After all, what role does design play but allow a user to interact with the functionality intuitively.
- You must be a risk taker who has a passion for entrepreneurism.
- We still classify ourselves as a Startup even though we are an international team of 50+ (We are presently 10 in Maple Ridge and 40+ in Bangladesh, though we envision doubling in the next 4 to 6 months). As such, you must want to work in a Startup.
- You realize that failure is an option, because failure means that you have started
- Maybe you have worked in software development, but realized that coding was not really your thing, or maybe you started off in marketing, but realized you wanted to get much more onto the technical, building of things but in any role, you had wished to be part of a smaller team where you would have a direct impact on the business as a whole
- You must be a self-starter and be able to manage yourself and your projects
- You can self-learn as things change; and quickly, because learning is something that you have to do daily
- You should be up-to-date on your Internet memes (that way you know if we are laughing at you or with you). Bonus points if you have earned a whack of karma on reddit.
- You should want to build something really cool, so that in a couple of years we all say, “Wow! Look what we’ve built together”
- You must believe in the mantra of “Work hard, play hard.”
- You must be able to laugh at yourself and roll with the punches
- You must tolerate animals (On any given day, we may have a dog in the office. Or sometimes a cat. Though never together. That day was not a good one).
- You don’t have to be good at Darts or Foosball, but you should be willing to learn or you will constantly lose and be the one doing the coffee run to Waves on 207th
- At least some experience creating spec documents, preferably in a Lean Startup environment where the document is as much a testing roadmap as it is an unchanging manifesto. We are not hiring you because you are an expert in the field, but you need to have the raw potential to become one.
- 2-3 years of ‘real-world’ experience in software, mobile or web development
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent College + Life Experience
- You will have experience bringing a product to market – either on your own or as part of a team
- You have some experience defining specs, creating wireframes/mock-ups, user flows and other artifacts… even if it is was just for your own use
- You have high expectations of yourself and others
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Product/Project Management experience a plus. Do tell us if you are PMI certified.
- Experience in planning and observing user tests and other design research activities.
- You appreciate strong UI/IX – you may not be a designer, but you can spot beautiful design
- You appreciate good code – you may not be a programmer, but you know if something is intuitively right or clunky
- Internet marketing an asset (PPC, SEM, Affiliate marketing, etc.)
- You consider yourself a thought leader and demonstrate this via blogging, networking at industry events, or speaking at conferences (or at least a willingness to try)
- Knowledge (and willingness to accept) that sometimes it requires we work around the clock — not because someone is poking you with a sharp stick, but because you want to and we need to
- Knowledge that you don’t know everything and that we don’t know everything, but if we put our heads together, we can probably figure it out at least as well as anyone else.
About the Job
So what will you be doing?
- Work directly with our product management team to design new features and products
- Collaborate with our Engineering & Design teams to get your specifications implemented
- Work with customer support team to listen to what the market is telling us…then build that.
- Drive design discussions and collaborative sessions with teams and stakeholders, helping generate concepts that inspire peers and teams.
- Gather, define, and document functional requirements for our web applications
- Gather, define, and document functional requirements for our desktop applications
- Become the go-to expert on “OZ” – our proprietary big data platform for analytics & brand management
- Create specs and document features for our portfolio of travel brands, including RentByOwner.com, Renters.com, RentalHomes.com, and CruiseShips.com
- Utilize a variety of decision support and visualization tools to support recommendations and analysis
- Work closely with our domestic and offshore development/engineering teams to define product features while making sure the product meets specs as well as your expectations.
Compensation & Next Steps
- While your salary will be competitive and based on your experience, we believe that as we build this out together, we can all share in the upside and increase compensation as revenues increase for the brands you are involved in.
- If you are interested in working on a world-class network of premium web businesses, then please send us a recent resume (online links are fine) along with your salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or unexpected visits please because we have developers here and they are easily startled.
- Thanks in advance for considering us, and while we thank all those who apply, only those who are being considered may be contacted.
Left of the Dot is a small, but growing company. Fit and a willingness to learn is more important than experience. But because we are small, we apologize in advance if we can’t respond to everyone.
Learn more about us at www.LeftOfTheDot.com
or about our next hot project at www.Yo.com